Packaging & Shipping
Packaging Tips & Tricks
- Use Cardboard separators between heavy parts. This will prevent them from hitting each other during shipment.
- Keep a minimum of 1 inch between the part and box.
- If you can feel a sharp edge or corner of the part through the bubble wrap or foam, then add more packaging material.
- Conduct a “Shake Test” on the box. If you can hear parts hit each other, or parts moving in the box, then it needs to be packed tighter. This can be achieved by adding more filler into the box or adding more bubble wrap to the parts.
- Thin parts (less than ⅛”) should be sandwiched between 2 pieces of cardboard.
- Large bubblewrap (½ inch or bigger) is not preferred for large parts. The voids between the bubbles will cause part-to-part contact, which will ultimately result in damage.
Xometry provides delivery labels for all jobs unless otherwise noted. To utilize the Xometry shipping account, you must generate a shipping label through the online portal. To generate a shipping label, click the Ship button on the Current Jobs page to go to the Shipping page. Note that the Ship button will only become active on the Job Details page when all stages of the job status workflow have been completed.
Once on the Shipping page, click the Print Packing Slip button to generate a packing list. From there you will be prompted to generate a Shipping Label.
If you have multiple packages for the same order, you can create multiple shipping labels on the Shipping page. If you need assistance creating multiple shipping labels, please reach out to us via the support request form.
Xometry will not be responsible for organizing FedEx pick-ups. Partners are expected to organize the truck’s arrival and handle associated fees. To set up a pick-up, please make the label via our site then log into FedEx.com or call 1-800-463-3339 (1-800-GOFEDEX). Typically, FedEx does not charge for express pickups if packages need to be picked up ⅘ days in a week.
- Partners with a FedEx Account: Can set pick-up via phone or online
- Partners without a FedEx Account: Can set up a pick-up via the phone. Ask the representative to create a Site Profile for future pick-ups.
All shipments must receive an origin scan (e.g. they cannot be deposited in a drop box). We do not consider an order complete, and you will be solely responsible for all losses if you do not receive an origin scan.
- Labels are to be requested and/or printed only on the same day as the job will ship. Jobs should be updated to shipping complete ONLY if the package will receive an origin scan that same day.
- By requesting/printing a label or by selecting “complete shipping” you are committing that it will be scanned and in transit on that day.
- To avoid the risk of mislabeling the packages, please print labels as close to the time of packaging as practical and confirm that the correct label is affixed to the box.
Packaging & Shipping Guide
For more information head on over to our Packaging and Shipping Guide!
Read More →