Please note that Xometry recommends that all Xometry partners to have a Quality Management System (QMS) in place to help ensure that you and your operations are set up for success when completing quality work in our network. Partners should have an inspection tool calibration system and log in place to ensure accurate inspection of produced parts.
Our Minimum Quality Management System Standards are:
- Establishment of a written Quality Policy
- Establishment and periodic review of Quality Objectives (i.e. On-Time Delivery, Quality, Communication)
- Contract/Purchase Order Review to determine requirements (i.e. specifications, manufacturing processes, quality, delivery) for products and services
- Measurement Traceability using calibrated equipment
- Control of Documented Information (i.e. record retention, revision control, control of documents)
- Control of Nonconforming Parts
- Corrective Action Process (including root cause identification and documentation)
An example of a fully functioning QMS that meets the above criteria can be found below along with downloadable templates. Please modify or adjust these templates to fit the needs that you may have for documentation of your QMS.
Xometry staff is available to provide coaching, materials, and assistance on these requirements. Contact us by submitting this support request form.
Example Quality Management System Policy
XYZ Machining & 3D Printing LLC
4400 Main Street
Anywhere, USA 12345
This quality manual contains policies that have been implemented at XYZ Machining & 3D Printing.
This manual details our processes for the manufacture of parts through selection, manufacturing, quality, and delivery while also including procurement and material controls, and processing controls.
XYZ Machining & 3D Printing was founded in 2005. Our main business consists of receiving drawings and/or models from our customers for quotes on parts, providing timely quotes, and then building these parts for our customers.
Our Mission at XYZ Machining & 3D Printing is to provide our customers with superior quality and delivery to service their needs by using our expert knowledge of materials and complex manufacturing processes. Management commits that we will:
- Ensure that all employees understand and strive to reach customer expectations, within any statutory or regulatory requirements
- Ensure the specifications set in the Quality Management System are being maintained, and take corrective action if the Quality Management System is not being upheld
- Continuously improve the Quality Management System, and provide the resources to meet new requirements as needed
It is the policy of XYZ Machining & 3D Printing to:
- Provide industry best Customer Service, On Time Delivery and Product Quality
- Improve its operational efficiencies to drive long term business sustainability and employee and shareholder satisfaction.
- Continuously improve its products and services and the effectiveness of its quality management system.
XYZ Machining & 3D Printing Quality Objectives are:
- On-Time Delivery of Orders - 95%
- Off Quality Returns - 1%
- Customer Satisfaction Ratings - 98%
These objectives and performance results are reviewed at a minimum every quarter.
Contract / Purchase Order Review:
There are established procedures for the review of Contracts / Purchase Orders in their entirety (geometry, lead time, material, payment terms, features, precision, post-processing requirements, etc.) and to determine if it is a good fit for our shop.
Questions regarding Contracts / Purchase Orders are resolved as quickly as possible. An appropriate record system should be utilized to maintain order agreements and stipulations for however long is needed per the terms of the agreement or shop certification. All identified risks are mitigated during the contract review phase.
Control of Monitoring & Measuring Equipment:
XYZ Machining & 3D Printing determines the monitoring and measurement to be undertaken and the monitoring and measuring equipment needed to provide evidence of conformity of product to determined requirements. We will establish processes to ensure that monitoring and measurement can be carried out and are carried out in a manner that is consistent with the monitoring and measurement requirements.
All measurement equipment is serialized and documented in calibration logs. All measuring equipment is calibrated at specified intervals or before use. Measurement equipment is verified against measurement standards traceable to (inter)national measurement standards. Where no such standards exist, the basis used for calibration or verification is recorded and adjusted or as necessary. Records clearly identify measurement equipment calibration status. Procedures are in place to safeguard the equipment from adjustments that would invalidate the measurement result. Additional procedures ensure the equipment is protected from damage and deterioration during handling, maintenance, and storage. A copy of our Tool Calibration Forms is shown in the Appendix.
Control of Documents:
There are established methods for the development, revision, review, approval, distribution, maintenance, and control of all documents. This process ensures that only authorized documents, templates, and forms are used, that required documents are available to employees where required and that obsolete copies or revisions are promptly removed, replaced, invalidated, or destroyed.
A retention period of 5 years for controlled documented information will be established and as applicable back-ups of electronic documents should be performed.
Control of Non-Conforming Parts:
We will ensure that zero non-conforming product is delivered to any of our Xometry customers.
There are established procedures to perform the following duties:
- Review of non-conformances
- Perform root-cause analysis to prevent a recurrence
- Determine action needed to deliver the conforming product
- Record all steps taken between detection of non-conformances and resolution
A non-conforming product that is discovered during production is identified and marked with RED dye or suitable alternative on the NC part, and then segregated from good parts.
During In-Process / First Piece Inspection
QC identifies non-conforming product(s) during a first piece or in-process inspection operations and attaches a RED arrow sticker or a suitable alternative for non-conformance and notes on the QC report, then informs Production personnel responsible for programming/setup of the part(s) and/or Management.
During Final Inspection
QC identifies non-conforming product(s) during inspection operations, then applies reject disposition in the records. QC then evaluates the part for in-house rework, remake, scrap, or to seek customer authorization of the part as-is.
- Determine a course of action if non-conformance is discovered after delivery
- Identification, quarantine, and disposal of the non-conforming product. All Non- conforming product is rendered unusable by cutting or damaging the product and placed in marked bins in the Recycle / Trash bay of the main building.
Corrective Action Process
It is the policy of The XYZ Machining & 3D Printing Company to take action to eliminate the cause of nonconformities to prevent their recurrence. We will establish and maintain Quality Standards, Quality Logs to record any Non-conformances, customer complaints, or other quality-related issues. The corrective actions will be recorded and reviewed for their effectiveness.
Templates & Resources
Carefully read the sections of this template highlighted in yellow. These will contain direction on what information should be tailored to your operations.